What To Look for When Hiring a Bookkeeper: You Can’t Afford the Wrong One!
Hiring a bookkeeper, no matter the size of your business, can be a daunting task to complete! Whether you are a small business looking to outsource your bookkeeping chores, or a large company with an in-house bookkeeper of your own, it’s important to make sure and hire THE RIGHT ONE. But how do you know what to look for? What questions should you ask in your interviews? Where should you even begin? We have the answers for you! And trust us, doing your research ahead of time will save you in the long run, and keep you from hiring a dud of a bookkeeper.
First off, it’s important to mention that in the finance world, you get what you pay for. So, please don’t hire the bookkeeper with the lowest prices right off the bat! Do your research!
Some important things to look for in a bookkeeper before hiring them are:
· Are they insured?
· Are they certified, and what are they certified in?
· How long they have been in business.
· Are they registered with the Secretary of State?
· Do they have good references?
· Are they passionate about what they do?
· Are they detail oriented?
Most bookkeepers will offer a free consultation where they get to know you and your business better, and you get the opportunity to do the same. Take advantage of that free consultation! That is a great way to see if the bookkeeper is a good fit or not. Here are some questions you can ask during that consultation:
- How did you get started doing bookkeeping?
- What is your specialty? Do you work with a lot of clients in my industry?
- What all will you handle for me? What will I still be responsible for?
- Do you work virtually, or in my office? If virtually, how do you get all the information you need?
- What bookkeeping software do you prefer and why?
- If I am just getting started with my bookkeeping, how will you go about getting systems in place for me and started up?
Your potential bookkeeper will also have questions for you, so be prepared to answer questions like the following during your consultation:
- What you’ve currently been doing for your bookkeeping.
- How comfortable you feel about your businesses’ finances.
- Where you would like to see your business go.
- Are you detail oriented, or do you just want to know the bottom line each month?
Asking and answering these questions will help you decide if the bookkeeper is a good fit for you and your company. Personality is also an important thing to match, and the consultation is a good time to feel that out.
Remember that you are ultimately looking for someone who has experience, who can work with your industry, they utilize the latest technology and have systems in place to offer efficient service. Being honest about your needs, wants and about your current financial situation, is key as well in finding the right match with a bookkeeper.
Here at To The Rescue Bookkeeping, we are insured, certified, experienced, registered, and have great references. We are proud about the services we offer and are passionate about we do. Call us today for a consultation and to see if we would be a good fit for you! We are positive we will be. :)